What to expect for Parents
Below you will find information on the following:
1. Home Football Games
Booster Parents will be in charge of getting parent volunteers for: water, bleacher covers, concessions, and plumes.
Parents do have to pay to get into a game unless they will be working one of the concession stands. At that time there will be badges given to those parents to get in for free.
Although we love you, please don’t hang out in the band room as students are getting dressed and ready. We have a strong student leadership that will take care of your students and we need to keep it students only.
Please join us during the game. We are on the east side of the stands and we take it as our personal responsibility to get the crowd involved into the game. We have a strong parent section that likes to get involved. Please sit with the parents and not with students. The students have a job to do and don't need any distractions.
During the game we cheer for the football players and build a community between athletics and the arts.
At the end of the game the students will be done as soon as they are done changing out of their uniform and are dismissed by their section leader. It is approximately 9:30 PM when they will be finished.
- If you are a volunteer chaperone, check in time will be at the band room at call time with the students. Parents chaperones will be expected to ride the bus with students as well as stay with the students on the student side of the stadium after the performance. (note the parents who are helping move equipment are different than chaperones. Please speak with the booster president if you have any questions or concerns.)
- If you are going to support your student at the site it is best to arrive in the stadium a few groups before the actual performance time. Performance times will be on the call time sheets with the address of the site.
- In order to get into the stadium, parents must purchase a ticket from the host school. Chaperones will be given a wristband with the students at no cost but are expected to monitor the students where they sit after the performance.
- Please cheer for our school when students enter and exit the field! We like loud fans!
- After the performance you can meet students back at the bus to visit, however, you cannot take the students with you when you leave. Students must ride the bus to and from the school together. If an exception needs to be made please contact Ms. Luck.
- Students will be staying until the awards ceremony before they leave the host school. Check the call time sheet for specific times.
- Once we are on route, students will be asked to call parents when the bus reaches the 94 freeway to give parents a heads up on time for pickup, keep in mind, students cannot leave until the trailer is unloaded and the room is clean! It is important that students stay and take care of this place so parents, please don’t rush the students once they arrive at SCHS.
- Once they get an okay from their section leader, they are allowed to leave. Please make plans to have your students picked up so the staff can also leave when everything is put away.
3. Pep Band Games
- The school does not provide transportation. Students will need to be part of a carpool or be driven to away games.
- Please meet at the visitor’s gate before entry at host school. Some schools will let band parents enter with the band for free and some do not. Be prepared to pay just in case.
- Once the game is over, please check in with the band president before taking your student home. This is to insure that all of our students are accounted for.
- Like marching band, during concert season, each school is judged through performance. It is through festivals that students play for a panel of judges to evaluate the group on music alone. It is off site and parents are strongly encouraged to attend if able.
- Call time sheets will be posted on website with host school’s address along with the schedule for the day.
- There is a price for tickets to listen to students perform in front of the judges.
- After their performance we play the waiting game for about 30 minutes while students are in the sight- reading and clinic room. During this time students are being evaluated on their ability to play music at sight as well as being worked with by one of the evaluating judges.
- Students will load the busses and return to SCHS. Again, students need to ride the bus to and from and cannot leave the site with parents. Students will call parents when we reach the 94 freeway to alert you on timing to be picked up. There isn’t as much equipment to unload so pick up should be right away.
5. Band Camp
Can I Watch?
Parents are always welcome to observe band practices. For band camp you may not want to stay the entire time, but you can certainly watch for a while after dinner when students are on the field from 6-9 p.m. You can come a little early for pick-up and see what your students have been working on!
Volunteers are always needed. This event typically needs volunteers to help with dinners. Please contact us if you are interested!
On the last day of band camp we have a performance from the band. It is a time to meet the rest of the parents and have the students showcase what they have been working on all week. Information will be handed out at the start of band camp for this event.
Get acquainted with band parents that live in your area. Arranging carpools cut down on number of pick-ups and delivery for everyone and saves on gas, wear and tear on car/parent.